Four common mistakes during weight loss according to a nutrition expert


You exercise enough and follow a diet, but losing weight is difficult. How come? You may be falling for these common pitfalls, according to an expert. Four mistakes to avoid.

Where one loses pounds without effort, for the other it is a lot more difficult. Nutritionist Alex Thomas sees that too. He shares in an article the most common mistakes that are made in the fight against the pounds, so that you don’t have to make them.

Four mistakes while losing weight

1. You are not in a calorie deficit

The most important rule during it is that you must be in a calorie deficit. In principle, it does not matter what you eat, as long as it is less than your daily requirement. That daily requirement is different for everyone. You can imagine that someone with a sedentary job burns far fewer calories than someone who works in construction.

2. You follow a diet that is too strict

Have you completely banned beer, chips, nuts, chocolate, burgers, fries, pizza and pasta from your diet? According to Thomas, this actually works in the opposite direction. If you follow a strict diet, the chance of a relapse is very high. If you have an all-or-nothing mindset, that one… cheat day maybe even more kilos, because you don’t care anymore.

It is better to choose a diet that lasts longer. That mainly means healthy food, and now and then something tasty. The 80/20 rule is a good example of this. 80 percent of the meals you eat should be healthy. The other 20 percent you choose for tasty, less healthy food. The chance that you can sustain this for a longer period of time is much higher than with the strict diet.

3. You completely avoid carbohydrates or fats

Avoiding certain food groups has been labeled as ‘the way to lose weight’ for years, only to no avail. Thomas also says that it is important to eat a varied diet, because this is the only way to ensure that you get enough macro and micro nutrients. A good and varied diet consists of carbohydrates, proteins and fats.

By eliminating fats from your diet, you do not lose weight. And also removing carbohydrates completely from your diet does not ensure that you lose pounds in a magical way. Your body needs these macronutrients to function properly.

4. You give up too soon

Do you lose heart if you haven’t lost weight after a week of eating healthy? Losing weight is a slow process, so giving up quickly is one of the most common mistakes. Still, maintaining your new lifestyle is important to make progress. Those pounds didn’t come on in one week, so why should they be off so quickly?

Focus on a healthy lifestyle rather than losing weight as quickly as possible. That is not only better for your health, but also for you mindset

You can read more tips on effective weight loss here.

Dieticians: ‘Disc of Five is old-fashioned’ and therefore a vegan Disc for Life

Seen a mistake? Mail us. We are grateful to you.

Reply to article:

Four common mistakes during weight loss according to a nutrition expert