Transavia is canceling 240 flights from Schiphol between 7 July and 14 August due to the restrictions imposed by the airport to prevent extreme crowds. More than thirteen thousand bookings are affected by this.
A replacement flight has been found for 70 percent of the canceled flights, for example from another airport. Of the remaining 30 percent, the ticket has been cancelled.
When canceling flights at Schiphol, Transavia has “looked at flights that are flown more often in a day and flights that can also be reached via other airports”, says a statement. “The passengers for whom there was no alternative will receive an immediate refund of the ticket costs or can postpone their trip until another time between August 28, 2022 and March 2023.”
Transavia normally flies 55 times a day from Schiphol. That comes down to 2,475 flights in that period, of which about 10 percent is now cancelled.
“There is a group that is being duped by this reduction in capacity,” says CEO Marcel de Nooijer. “That hurts. This is a huge loss for our passengers and for our company. The forced reduction of the number of passengers is highly undesirable and must be a one-off and short-lived.”
The people whose flight is canceled will be informed about this on Wednesday.
Schiphol has been suffering from a major staff shortage for several months and that will not be solved in the summer. To cope with the crowds, the airport is asking the airlines to reduce the number of passengers.
Only in July is there a daily reduction in capacity by 13,500 seats. KLM is responsible for half of this. The rest must be completed by other airlines.